ADA Content Request Form
Please specify the content you are requesting. For example, if you are interested in the December 4 City Council agenda, then please enter “December 4 City Council agenda” in the content form field. List as many items as necessary, or describe your request.
Next, select the requested format. Audio will be provided over the phone; plaintext files may be sent via email or snail mail. Finally, fill out your name. When you have completed the form, click on the “Submit Request” button.
Draft Internet Accessibility Policy
In support of the American with Disabilities Act (ADA), the City of Socorro is in the process of developing a policy for Internet web site accessibility. A non-official draft version of the policy follows. This policy is presently being implemented for all newly created and modified City of Socorro web pages.
The City of Socorro is interested in your thoughts and comments on the draft policy. If you would like to comment then please use this link.
BEGIN DRAFT POLICY
Purpose. The purpose of this Information Technology Policy is to state the City’s position and standards for accessibility to its Internet Web Pages.
Scope. This policy applies to the City’s public Internet Web Site.
Employees who develop web content, their supervisors and managers will be responsible to comply with this policy.
The Directors of Communication and Information Technology will be responsible for operating the City Web Pages and monitoring compliance with this policy. Generally the Director of Communication is responsible for content and the Director of Information Technology is responsible for technical considerations (development tools and methods, availability, response time, etc.)
The City of Socorro public Internet web site and its content will be developed and maintained for accessibility by all persons. Some web content such as video, audio and scanned images is difficult, if not impossible, to make accessible without affecting its viability. To meet the needs of all persons, the City will provide accessible content whenever possible and where not possible without affecting viability, will provide accessible alternatives upon request, free of charge. Means to make requests, including by telephone or e-mail forms will be prominently displayed on the City’s Internet web site.
A combination of the U.S. Department of Justice’s “Accessibility of State and Local Government Websites to People with Disabilities” (https://www.ada.gov/websites2.htm) and the “Priority 1” items on the W3C “Checklist of Checkpoints for Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 1.0” (https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/full-checklist.html) are used as input for the City’s accessibility compliance policy.
- The following web development methods will be practiced:
- Alt tags or long descriptions will be utilized for graphical images, graphical buttons, photos, and image maps.
- Alt tags will be utilized for hyperlinks when appropriate.
- HTML form fields will be associated with their corresponding labels.
- Information conveyed with color will also be available without color.
- Web pages will be readable without application of style sheets.
- Static HTML equivalent web pages will be updated in conjunction with dynamic script content.
- Flickering content will be avoided.
- Uncomplicated language will be used throughout the web site.
- Redundant text links will be provided for image maps.
- Server side image maps will be avoided.
- Data tables will contain markup for row and column headers.
- Data table cells with multiple row or column headers will have data cells marked up to define their relation to the row and column headers.
- Use of Java Applets, ActiveX controls, Flash, and frames will be minimized or avoided.
- A request for accessibility information contact (in the form of a telephone number or e-mail form) will be present on the web site’s home page.
- An accessible content request web form will be placed on the City’s web site allowing people to request web page alternatives in plain text, spoken word, or Braille formats.
- A disability group (or groups) will be annually enlisted to review the web site for ease of use.
END DRAFT POLICY